Anyone that has acne-prone skin understands how frustrating it can be waking up to a huge spot on your face. Maybe you’re a teen who’s hit the spot phase and needs some magic to make those unwanted pimples disappear, well my trick might just work for you.
What is Salicylic Acid and Why it works
First of all, let’s talk about salicylic acid and how it works to reduce acne, along with the do’s and don’ts. Salicylic acid is a beta-hydroxy acid (aka BHAs) which essentially is a chemical exfoliant that reaches deep into pores and exfoliates, removing dead skin and oil built up causing those dreaded spots. Not only does Salicylic acid work to reduce spots, but it also can help prevents future spots with regular use.
- Patch test on your hand- sensitive skin may not react well
- Start of using a small amount of product
- Apply sunscreen if using products with salicylic acid during the day
- Overuse BHAs – Salicylic acid can cause dryness, check your products and try using only one product with BHA in your routine to avoid dry peeling skin.
- Be careful when mixing salicylic acid with benzoyl peroxide (another chemical to treat acne) and alpha hydroxy acid (AHAs), combining these chemicals can cause irritation, damaging the skin.
DERMA E – Acne Rebalancing Cream
Although this product is a cream it contains active salicylic acid which makes a great overnight spot treatment. I have a teenage brother who loves this cream more than I do as it works wonders on blackheads and whiteheads. A little dab of the cream on the spots before bed and wake up to clearer skin. For tougher spots like cystic spots, it may take more frequent use or try a product with benzoyl peroxide which has stronger antibacterial properties.
Where to Buy: